TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Common Examples
- About Entering URLs into the Block/Allow Lists
- Deledao's Filter Approach for Social Networking, Streaming Media, and Search Engine Category Sites
Our blocked and allowed lists allow you easily customize your policies. In addition to allowing/blocking entire hosts or domains, you can also configure to allow or block portions of websites. Our Youtube allowed/blocked lists give you control over individual videos, entire channels, and categories.
Below are configurations solving common scenarios.
Block a Subdomain
Simply add “foo.example.com” to the blocked list. This will allow all traffic to example.com except foo.example.com.
Allow only a Subdomain
Simply add “example.com” to the blocked list and “foo.example.com” to the allowed list.
Block Part of a Website
Adding “www.example.com/test” to the blocked list would block all URLs starting with www.example.com/test.
Block All Other Streaming Media and Allow YouTube only
The Portal checkmark boxes allow one to select which categories to block. One can block “Streaming Media” and add “youtube.com” to the allowed list. Our product is smart enough to still apply AI analysis on YouTube contents even though the "Streaming Videos" categories is blocked.
Allow Only Selected YouTube Videos
Check off the box to block the category “Streaming Media” or add “youtube.com” to the blocked list. Then enter the URL of the video that is to be allowed into the allowed list. One will be able to select whether to allow this video only, its channel, or its category.
About Entering URLs into the Block/Allow Lists
Each blocked or allowed list item is a URL.
- The http:// or https:// part is optional.
- Including "www." before the domain name vs. excluding "www." have different filtering effects:The wildcard * is usually not necessary as we automatically match the webpages hosted under the hostname or URL.
For instance, “www.example.com” would filter every webpage on www.example.com. However, it won’t filter videos.example.com.
“example.com” would filter every webpage in the example.com domain, including www.example.com and videos.example.com./
- “example.com/foo” would filter every sub-webpage of example.com/foo (e.g. example.com/foo/bar), including itself.
If both the accept/block lists have URLs from the same domain, sites will be allowed until reaching the block lists' longest sub-webpage match.
An explanation would be if “example.com/foo” is in the allowed list and “example.com/foo/bar” is in the blocked list, “example.com/foo” would be allowed but “example.com/foo/bar” would be blocked and any subpages such as example.com/foo/bar/(...) would be blocked.
YouTube videos work the same way, except one is given the options to allow or block individual videos, channels, and categories.
- “*” can be used in hostnames. Each * would match exactly a component in the hostname between the dots. For instance, “*.example.com” would match foo.example.com, but not foo.bar.example.com.
Or www.example.* would match www.example.com and www.example.org.
- “*” itself matches everything. For instance, if you’d like to block all websites except for a few selected ones, just enter “*” into the blocked list and the allowed websites into the allowed list.
- If the same item appears in both the blocked and allowed lists, Deledao will allow the identical URLs. That means if "example.com/foo/bar" is in both the allowed and blocked lists, the Deledao filter will allow "example.com/foo/bar" .
- Adding a top level url to your allowed list would unblock everything under it even if the page for the unblocked URL contains elements which are supposed to be blocked (e.g. a youtube video which is in blocked list), it won't block it.
Deledao's Filter Approach for Social Networking, Streaming Media, and Search Engine Category Sites
For domains that our AI classify as Social Networking, Streaming Media, and Search Engine, the whitelisting works a little differently. Even when these aforementioned category-type sites are allowed, AI still kicks in on these websites because it's just too likely inappropriate content can come through if the entire site is opened.
© Deledao Education